Eben Schoeman’s Companion Guide
The 1373-mile Great Virginia Waterfall Trail is a combination of highways, byways and county roads that connect almost all of Virginia’s spectacular (and accessible) waterfalls in a Figure 8 roadtrip!
Buy the Kindle Book – The Great Virginia Waterfall Trail:
The Star city of Roanoke is at the center of the Figure 8. While you can enter or exit the Waterfall Trail at any point, Roanoke is a good place to start! From there you can head north or south in either a clockwise or anti-clockwise loop!
The Trail is more than just a connecting road. I designed the route to follow the most interesting or scenic paths as shown on the free map – Scenic Roads & Byways in Virginia (available at tourist centers statewide and online at www.virginiadot.org.)
The waterfalls in this book are arranged in order starting in Roanoke and heading south on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I describe every waterfall along the Waterfall Trail in the Figure 8 arrangement before ending back in Roanoke coming from the north!
This online description of the Waterfall Trail includes fun and interesting stops along the way. You also experience the Crooked Road, Designated Virginia Scenic Byways, Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway – to mention a few!
As to be expected, the Waterfall Trail is forever a “work-in-progress”! So check back often and before each planned roadtrip!
The Great Virginia Waterfall Trail Video on Youtube!
The Great Virginia Waterfall Trail – Google Map
Here is the official online Google Map of the Waterfall Trail. As a bonus, I included several other waterfalls that are either, not part of the Trail or on private property.
Hiking trails leading to the Falls and parking areas are described in my book listed above.
The Great Waterfall Trail in Sections
For easier navigation and planning, the Waterfall Trail is divided into 11 sections. Just click on each section for more information.
- Section 1 – Roanoke to Galax – 182 miles
- Section 2 – Galax to Abingdon – 126 miles
- Section 3 – Abingdon to Coeburn – 83 miles
- Section 4 – Coeburn to Rocky Gap – 165 miles
- Section 5 – Rocky Gap to Roanoke – 80 miles
- Section 6 – Roanoke to Douthat SP – 115 miles
- Section 7 – Douthat SP to Harrisonburg – 106 miles
- Section 8 – Harrisonburg to Winchester – 87 miles
- Section 9 – Winchester to SNP – 132 miles
- Section 10 – Shenandoah NP – 127 miles
- Section 11 – Blue Ridge Parkway – 170 miles